GREAT THINGS WOMEN HAVE DONE
Today is Mother’s Day. We congratulate and salute all godly women who are Christian mothers. Women have played a great role in life form the beginning. “In the beginning God created male and female.” He created the woman to complete the man. “And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof. And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him. And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.” (Genesis 2:18-24) Godly women are so important to our world!
We need to both respect and honor women. Women have done great things in God’s service. Miriam led the people in praising God after the crossing of the Red Sea. (Exodus 15:21) Ruth put God first and became the ancestress of King David. (Ruth 4:1-22) Esther took her life into her hands to plead for her doomed people. (Esther 4:1-17) A widow’s obedience sustained God's prophet Elijah. (1 Kings 17:9-16) A little captive girl that told Naaman's wife of the man of God that could cure Naaman of his leprosy. (2 Kings 5:2-4) A poor widow gave two mites which won Jesus' praise. (Mark 12:43) Mary gave birth to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. (Luke 1:28-31) Mary sat at the feet of Jesus to learn. (Luke 10:38-42) The first appearance of an angel was to a woman -- Hagar. (Genesis 16:7-9) The daughters of Zelophehad show that women also have rights in legal disputes. (Numbers 27:1-11) Women saved the life of Moses several times before he lead Israel out of Egypt! First the midwives saved the majority of Israelite men from murder in Egypt. Then his mother saved him by hiding him and later putting him in the little ark in the river. Then Pharaoh's daughter saved Moses by raising him as her son. (Exodus 1-3) Rahab was a key to success for the overthrow of Jericho. (Joshua 2) Many women served God faithfully in the New Testament age also. Let us all learn to show proper love and respect for godly women, especially to those who are Christian mothers.
Just like man, women were made in the image of God. "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." (Genesis 1:26-27) Both man and woman were created by God in the beginning. "But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder." (Mark 10:6-9) God said it was not good for man to be alone. He made woman as a companion and helpmate for him. God caused Adam to sleep and He took one of his ribs. From that rib God created woman as a helpmate for man. Adam recognized Eve as "bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh." Women are precious in the sight of God and they deserve our respect. Godly, Christian Mothers are to be praised.
A woman of strength gives her best to God. We need women who will be godly and virtuous. "Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life. She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands. She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar. She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens. She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard. She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms. She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night. She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff. She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy. She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet. She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple. Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land. She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant. Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come. She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness. She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness. Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all. Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates." (Proverbs 31:10-31) God chose strength when making the woman. She was made from bone. A woman of strength kneels in prayer daily. (1 Thessalonians 5:17-18) A woman of strength shows courage in the midst of her fear. (Psalm 34:4)
Christian mothers deserve our love and support. When God had created the woman Adam said, "This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man." (Genesis 2:23) He was excited because here was somebody like him. He was thrilled to have Eve as part of his life. Eve was called the mother of all living. "Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living." (Genesis 3:20) Adam, without Eve was empty and alone. In his relationship with Eve, Adam was completed. Adam, as well as the men alive today, must give love and support to their godly wife, the Mother of their children. As Christian men we must never allow our wife or our mother to feel unloved and unappreciated. Remember Proverbs 31:28, "Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her." (Proverbs 31:28)
You can enjoy salvation through the blood of Jesus Christ. To become a Christian you must hear the gospel (Romans 10:17), believe in Jesus as the Christ (Mark 16:16), repent of all sins (Acts 17:30), confess Christ as Lord (Acts 8:36) and be baptized for remission of sins. (Acts 2:38) After baptism remain faithful to God. Solomon wrote, "A faithful man shall abound with blessings..." (Proverbs 28:20)
- - - - Charles Box
News & Notes
1. Prayer List: Baptist South: Bobby Moore, William Pierce In Need of Prayer: LeRoy Boutwell, Dannie Box, Madden Bozeman, Mary Ann Bozeman, Brenda Burkett, Terry Claunch, Camren Coleman, John Curry, Syble Farmer, Marietta Faulkenberry, Devin Hawkins, Lois Hopper, Ann Jackson, Sonny Johnson, Felice Kendrick, Patricia Kennemore, Peggy Lassiter, Arthur Little, Jeff Lowery, Sherry Lucky, Alison Martin, Kathy Mathis, Annie McKee, Jeff Miller, Karen Miller, Dot Mosley, Robert Mosley, Jane Owen, Candice Parker, Dawson Parker, LeAnn Parker, Elizabeth Perdue, Tina Pouncey, Brian Queener, Lydia Ann Raybon, Becky Reynolds, Billy Rodgers, Dianne Salter, Caleb Sam, Ron Seal, Rodney Shepard, Nathan Simmons, Liz Singleton, Martha Skipper, Kenneth Smith, Sarah Stidham, Robbie Taylor, John Tindoll, Bobbie Walker, Leroy Waller, Luvella Webb, Barbara Woods, and Tom Young. Crowne Health Care: Helen Autrey, Dorothy Buck, Jewel Cauthen, Gladys Childs, Arlene Coletrane, Betty Findley, Davis Hester, Kathy Johnson, Sarah Knight, Nelda Sanders and Annie Ruth Tetter. Georgiana Nursing Home: Woodrow and Edwina Butts.
2. John Rice to Visit: John will visit on Wednesday night, May 15th to tell us some things about Bible Camp Work.
3. Yard and Bake Sale at Crowne Health Care: The ladies are asked to help by preparing a baked good item for the bake sale. The items need to be at the church building on Thursday, May 16th by noon. The Yard and Bake Sale will be May 17th.
4. Bridal Shower/Dinner: There will be a bridal shower/dinner for Dustin Harrell and Randi Burkett on May 19th after the evening service. The Meat Committee has clean up duties following the shower.
5. High School Graduates Honored: There will be a graduation party to honor our high school graduates on Sunday, May 26th after the evening worship service. Everyone is asked to bring finger foods and stay to honor our graduates. The Vegetable Committee has clean up duties following the graduation party.
6. Wedding Announcement: Mr. and Mrs. William Harvey Burkett request the honour of your presence at the marriage of their daughter Randi Loretta to Dustin Ashley Harrell on Saturday, the twenty-second of June, Two thousand and thirteen at two o’clock in the afternoon, First Baptist Church, 212 Fort Dale Road, Greenville, Alabama.
7. High School Graduation Announcement: (a) Joshua William Till - The Board of Directors, Faculty and Senior Class of Fort Dale Academy announce Commencement Exercises, for Friday evening, May twenty-fourth, Two thousand thirteen seven o’clock Southside Baptist Church Greenville, Alabama. (b) Rebecca Nicole Burnett – Class of 2013 -- Please come and celebrate with Juanita Baugh & Frank Burnett as our daughter graduates from Greenville High School on Friday, May 24, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. at the Greenville High School Stadium.
8. Vacation Bible School: June 23rd – 27th – Walnut Street Church of Christ -- Work hard to make our VBS the best ever! See Darrell Powell and find out what you can do to help.
9. College Graduates: We would like to congratulate our college graduates: (a) Blake Bagents – Bachelor’s of Science in Animal Science from Auburn University. Blake will begin Veterinary school at Auburn in August. (b) Kyle Sexton – Doctor of Pharmacy from Auburn with Magna Cum Laude honors. (c) Brittany Olive – Bachelor’s of Science in Elementary Education. Brittany graduated Magna Cum Laude with Kappa Delta Pi honors from Troy University.
10. Anniversary: Celebrating an Anniversary this week: May 18th Chris and Dusty Bagents.
11. Birthdays: Celebrating a Birthday this week: May 12th Ann Smith, and May 18th Robert McCann.
13. Carl Sessions Camp Fund: Please contribute! Make checks to Walnut Street Church of Christ and mark them “Carl Sessions Camp Fund.”
God’s Free, Conditional Gifts
God is the greatest giver of all time! “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.” (James 1:17) “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16) Apparently, there is little that our God would deny us, even though we often deny Him. However, just like any gift, those that come from God, though free, must be accepted on certain conditions. Here are some examples from Scripture.
Naaman was given a free gift of healing from his leprosy. No one would dispute the fact that he was healed through no merit of his own, yet he was only healed after dipping seven times in the River Jordan.
Noah and his family were saved from the destruction of the flood, but it was only because Noah did “all that God commanded him.” (Genesis 6:22) Clearly, Noah didn’t earn his deliverance from the flood waters, it was God’s gift. Yet, Noah would have perished with the rest of the world if he hadn’t obeyed God.
In these and other instances in the Bible, God gave gifts to His children…gifts that were not “earned,” but free blessings from God. However none of those would have received the gifts had they not met the conditions God set forth. Though God’s gift of eternal salvation is free, He expects each of us to “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.” (Philippians 2:12) Only by submitting to Gods simple will through faith (Romans 10:17), repentance (Acts 17:30-31), and baptism, (I Peter 3:21), can one expect to receive eternal life through Christ Jesus. Will you accept God’s gift?
- - - - Darrell Powell