Just A Servant Of The Devil?
We are either serving our Mighty Creator or we are serving Satan. Most people never consider that they are actually Satan’s servants instead of servants of God. The majority are, in truth, servants of Satan. “Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.” (Matthew 7:13-14) There are some who openly confess that they are Devil worshippers; the majority of Satan’s servants somehow think that they are following the God of Heaven. There is no middle ground; you are either on God’s side or on the Devil’s side. Satan is often mentioned in our Bible. The term “Satan” is in 49 verses in our King James Bible. “Devil” is in 57 verses. Satan is identified by many other names and expressions in the Bible. Here are a few: (1) Abaddon (Revelation 9:11), (2) Accuser of the brethren (Revelation 12:10) (3) Adversary (1 Peter 5:8), (4) Angel of light (2 Corinthians 11:14), (5) Beelzebub (Matthew 12:24), (6) Belial (2 Corinthians 6:15) (7) god of this world (2 Corinthians 4:4), (8) Old Serpent (9) Darkness (Colossians 1:13), (10) Prince of this world (John 12:31), (11) Ruler of darkness (Ephesians 6:12), and (12) Serpent (2 Corinthians 11:3) The Devil is the adversary of every godly person. An adversary is "one who opposes or fights against another; an enemy." In every sense of the word the Devil is the enemy of Christianity. "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the Devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour." (1 Peter 5:8) Satan is opposed to all that is true, pure and decent. The Devil resists all that is good. The Devil will bring "savage wolves" in among God's people to pervert God's truth. The Devil causes people to leave God and turn to all kinds of corruption. The Devil does all he can to pollute, defile and profane holy things and holy lives. You can avoid being with Satan in eternity by gospel obedience and living the Christian life. Those who are under Christ's control will live a faithful Christian life in His church. Those who are under Satan's control will not. Who is in control of your life? It is either Christ or Satan. Your life cannot be controlled by both. Whose side are you fighting on? Just a servant of the Devil? No! I may not be much or count for much but I want to be fighting on the Lord’s side.
Just a servant of the Devil? No! I choose to obey the gospel of Christ and to serve Him. A Christian is a person that has, from the heart, obeyed the gospel of Christ. (Acts 2:36-41) The world can see the difference as this person lives for Jesus. “Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.” (2 Timothy 2:19) When a person dies to sin, and is buried with Christ in baptism, they are to arise to walk in newness of life. (Romans 6:1-4) A true Christian will be steady and unshakable in the faith of Jesus Christ; thus accepting his or her Christian responsibility. Just a servant of the Devil? No! I choose to obey the gospel of Christ and to serve Him.
Just a servant of the Devil? No! I choose to live a consistent Christian life. The Bible teaches personal responsibility and accountability to God. We are accountable to God for the life we live. The sadness of all sadness would be for death to come and find us as failures in living a consistent Christian life. We all know of a certainty that death will come for, "It is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment." (Hebrews 9:27) If death should come now how would it find you spiritually? "But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you show contempt for your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. For it is written: ‘As I live, says the Lord, Every knee shall bow to Me, And every tongue shall confess to God.' So then each of us shall give account of himself to God." (Romans 14:10-12) A true Christian works in a life changing way by bringing every thought into subjection or captivity to Christ. "Casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ." (2 Corinthians 10:5) There is no privilege on earth greater than that of being a Christian. Just a servant of the Devil? No! I choose to live a consistent Christian life.
Just a servant of the Devil? No! I choose to be a faithful member of the Church of Christ. Jesus Christ is the founder of this church. In Matthew 16:18 He said, "And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it." This church was established in the city of Jerusalem about the year A.D. 33. (Acts 2:1-47) Jesus established only one church. In Ephesians 4:4 the church is called "one body." In Colossians 1:18 Paul identifies the body as the church. Christ died for the church. "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her." (Ephesians 5:25) He is the Savior of it. "For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body." (Ephesians 5:23) The saved are added to the church. (Acts 2:47) "To Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever." (Ephesians 3:21) The end of the Christian life is peace, joy and the hope of heaven. (Colossians 1:5; 1 Peter 1:4) Just a servant of the Devil? No! I choose to be a faithful member of the Church of Christ.
Just a servant of the Devil? No! I choose, as a Christian, to do what I can to save those who are not Christians. It is the responsibility of one Christian to teach another about Christ. "And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also." (2 Timothy 2:2) Evangelism is a command of the Lord Jesus. "And He said to them, Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned." (Mark 16:15-16) Christians must teach the lost about the One Who brings salvation. The joy of Christianity is in bringing others to Christ. The challenge for each of us is to spend enough time with Jesus that we can become soul-winners. Just a servant of the Devil? No! I choose, as a Christian, to do what I can to save those who are not Christians.
In Romans 6:17-18 Paul wrote, “But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.” When God's word is planted in our hearts we are begotten of the Spirit. (1 Peter 1:22-23) Trust in Jesus as Lord and Christ leads to true repentance. (Acts 17:30-31) We are born into God's family by being baptized in obedience to the truth. (Romans 6:3-4) The Bible says, "For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ." (Galatians 3:26-27) Are you a Christian? Are you fulfilling your Christian responsibility as a servant of God?
- - - - Charles Box
News & Notes
1. Prayer List: Baptist South: Ray Moore. In Need Of Prayer: Shelby Bennett, LeRoy Boutwell, Bryson Box, Paige Box, Brenda Burkett, Bonnie Croley, Debbie Cunningham, Bobby Godwin, Hilton Gorum, Kevin Huddleston, Felice Kendrick, Patrica Kennemore, Alice Little, Carolena Long, Larry Lucas, Annie McKee, Jewel McNaughton, Charlotte Miller, Jeff Miller, Jane Owen, Candice Parker, Emma Peterson, William Pierce, Tina Pouncey, Shane Prater, Jack Queener, Amber Raines, Dan Raybon, John Reynolds, Peggy Rice, Billy Rodger, Timothy Rowell, Jerry Sanders, Katie Sanders, Chuck Shepherd, Nathan Simmons, Margaret Skipper, Peggy Stabler, Frank Thomas, Gladys Warren, Jim Watts, John Watts, Mary Ann Wilkes and Jim Wood. Crowne Health Care: Helen Autrey, Dorothy Buck, Jewel Cauthen, Gladys Childs, Betty Findley, Kathy Johnson, Sarah Knight, Glenn Phillips, Nelda Sanders, and Annie Ruth Tetter.
2. Thomas Till Steps Down as Elder: We are saddened that Thomas and Pam and their family are moving to Brewton. This is a great family and Thomas has served faithfully as an Elder. We will miss you! God bless you wherever you are. (Romans 8:28)
3. Wonderful Youth Group: Our youth have done great at Bible Camp this summer. They have excelled in their Bible classes. We love all of you. Hunter Owens was selected Mr. B.C.C. at our camp week.
4. Anniversary: Celebrating an anniversary this week: July 28th Steve and Donna Hoffman.
5. Birthdays: Celebrating a birthday this week: July 22nd Ashley Holladay, July 25th Tricia Lett, July 26th Brittany Olive, and July 27h Dustin Harrell.
6. Thank You Notes: (a) To everyone at Walnut Street Church of Christ, Thank you so very much for all your prayers, cards, and food that was sent during my mother’s illness and upon her death. Your generosity was so appreciated. We are really all just still in shock of the suddenness and the brevity of everything. Thank you for remembering all of us in your prayers. The Family of Winnie Gafford, (b) Thank you so much to all of the ladies who came to my baby shower and those who sent gifts. I had a wonderful time visiting with everyone and looking at all the beautiful little things for Avery Grace. It was more than I could have imagined and thanks to you, I feel a lot better about being prepared for her arrival. We can’t wait to meet her and I can’t wait for her to meet each of you. It’s a comforting feeling to know that we have such a caring and loving church family to support us through life’s changes. In this case a wonderful blessing! Love, Missy, B.J., Ethan, Branson & Avery Alford, (c) Dear Walnut Street, Thank you for the kind thoughts, lovely gifts, and your prayers during this exciting time in our lives. We are truly blessed to be back at Walnut Street with such a wonderful church family. In Christian Love, Sam, Becky & Fisher Cauthen, (d) Dear Walnut Street Church of Christ, Thank you to all that donated to the Carl Sessions Camp Fund. We had a great time at Backwoods. We met a lot of friends and had a lot of Bible Study time, singing, and prayer. We love you all! In Christian Love, Wyatt & Garrett Fullington, and (e) I express my deep love and appreciation to everyone who has been so good to me. You have given me so many things; you have taken me to the doctor, therapy and for other appointments; you have provided me transportation to the church services; you have overwhelmed me with your love. I could never say “Thank You” enough to the members of the Walnut Street Church of Christ. Love, Jessie Mae Powell
7. Area Events: (a) July 22nd-25th – Gospel Meeting – Salem Church of Christ – Speaker Caleb Cochran – Time Sunday Singing 2:30 pm and Worship 4:00 pm and weeknights 7:30, (b) July 22nd – 27th – Gospel Meeting – Grady Church of Christ – Speaker Alan Watkins – Time Sunday Singing 2:30 pm and weeknights 7:30, (c) July 27th – Bi-Annual A Cappella Sing - Elba Church of Christ – Time 7:00 until 8:30 pm – Fellowship and Refreshment immediately following, and (d) July 29th – August 1st – Vacation Bible School – Luverne Church of Christ – Classes for all ages .
Where Are They Going?
For as long as I can remember, I’ve stared up at the sky on Thursday nights during the summertime on the ball field at Backwoods Christian Camp. I’ve probably watched a thousand planes zip across the sky while I’ve listened to the singing and Bible thoughts that have been presented through the years, and upon seeing each one of those places, I’ve wondered the same thing, “Where are they going?” I would imagine business men driven by greed, missionaries, and ordinary folks going on vacation or for a visit. I have decided that each of my “guesses” was probably right. Represented in those planes I’ve followed through the sky are all kinds of people…the same kinds of people who walk by me every day.
Some of the people in those aircrafts are Christians who, although I may not know, I am bound to by the blood of Jesus (I Jn. 1:7). They represent other believers, of whom the apostle John wrote: “By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers” (I Jn. 3:16). Just as Christ sacrificed Himself for me, I ought to love my brothers and sisters in a sacrificial way.
Then, I know that so many of those who’ve flown over my head have been living an empty life, and are lost and without hope. (Eph. 2:12) As I know the road that leads to eternal reward is narrow and difficult, I realize so many will live for themselves instead of God. But I can help save some! (I Cor. 9:22) By my life, my example, my efforts to reach out, God will use the power of His gospel to save some, so I must continue to GO!
The one thing that every person whose plane may have crossed my line of sight as they barrel through the starry sky towards any of a million destinations is that they were made in the image of the God of heaven. (Gen. 1:26) They possess an eternal soul that will spend eternity in either heaven or hell (Mt. 25:34, 41). And, if they should ever cross my path, they should see Christ in me (II Tim. 1:13). So, the next time you gaze at the stars and see a plane with your fellow man in tow, I hope you’ll think of all the people in the world who need Jesus.
- - - - Darrell Powell
Don’t just own a Bible; read it!
Walnut Street Church of Christ
P.O. Box 551
Greenville, Alabama 36037-0551